Jeans are one of women's most popular clothing articles, and that is not likely to change anytime soon. One of the reasons why jeans are so popular is because they can be worn in many ways with different tops and shoes, depending on your style. In recent years, one new trend has emerged that is causing quite a stir among fashion enthusiasts: women's baggy jeans. This style has been around for so long because there are so many reasons why baggy jeans are an attractive option to many women, namely that they create a look that is both fashionable and easy to wear. Baggy jeans have been on trend with women since the early 2000s, and it does not look like they are going away any time soon. In this blog, we will go over everything regarding baggy jeans. Read on to learn more.
History of Baggy Jeans
In the 1990s, baggy clothing was at its peak in popularity. Baggy clothing was still an underground fashion trend for those who wanted to stand out from the crowd, but by the mid-1990s, it had become an iconic look embraced by mainstream society.
Young people now demand that jeans, which had long been part of casual dress, be just as baggy as possible with waists several sizes too large and exposing the fabric lining the waistband. Retailers such as Gap and Old Navy began introducing baggy lines of jeans. At the same time, designer Tommy Hilfiger (born 1951) started his urban prep line in response to what he saw happening in society.
The reasons for the popularity of baggy jeans vary. Some claim that trendsetters in the hip-hop community adopted the style to copy the pants that prisoners are issued with when incarcerated - sagging trousers reflecting that such inmates are not allowed access to belts for fear of hanging themselves with them.
According to some, baggy pants originated with black basketball players like Michael Jordan (1963-), who resisted the short shorts that the NBA mandated for many years. They started wearing longer, baggier pants to feel free and unique in their skin. Still, others believe this trend has roots among skaters and snowboarders, whose clothing needs freedom of movement but still holds onto an excellent factor.
Whatever their origins, the baggy jeans trend profoundly affected the sportswear industry. Jeans makers who needed to be faster to provide this clothing style lost substantial revenue when competitors jumped at the chance to fill in for them. While the popularity of hip-hop fashion continued into 2003, there were signs that it was shifting back to formfitting and low-high rise jeans. They fit around the waist and flared out at the ankle.
Styling ideas for Women's Baggy Jeans
It is no secret that baggy jeans are not just for guys. In the past year or so, we have seen baggy jeans grow in popularity among women who want to wear them femininely. So how do you wear a pair of baggy denim? Keep reading to learn three different ways to rock your favorite new pair!
- The first way is to dress it up with a crop top and heels. This is especially great if you are going out on the town and want to look cute but still feel comfortable.
- Another way is to wear a long sleeve shirt tucked into your pants and add a flowy blouse on top, as well as some cute boots or sandals.
- Finally, keep the shirt untucked and show off your belly button by tying a bandana around your waist. You can also make this style even more rebellious by tucking one of your pant legs into the other (and vice versa).
No matter your choice, plenty of styles are available for women's baggy jeans.
Fit tips, Which Figure Types of Item Suit Best?
Baggy women's jeans are a style that will not go out anytime soon. They are comfortable and flattering to most body types, but the fit can vary depending on the person. Finding a pair that suits your figure type to look your best is important; let us discuss how to find the perfect pair below:
- For pear-shaped bodies, a loose-fitting pair is ideal for hiding any perceived problems with the hips or thighs. They will make your legs look longer and leaner.
- For petite figures, baggy jeans may make you appear more significant than you are, so it is often better to go for something more fitted and straight cut to avoid this issue.
- Regular-length jeans will probably not work if you are tall as they will be too short for your height. You might need to opt for longer-length items like Bermuda pants or long skirts.
- If you have a rectangle-shaped figure with average to broad hips and thin thighs, they will make your waist look narrower than it is. And because they skim over the thigh rather than hugging tightly, they will not constrict movement as tight jeans.
- Straight leg styles will create an illusion of having smaller thighs, which is excellent if you have this problem area because it can help camouflage excess weight without looking bulky when worn with heels.
Fashion trends of Baggy Jeans
Baggy jeans have been a staple in women's fashion for decades. They come in all different styles and sizes, from bootcut to boyfriend to high waist. The comfort factor is unbeatable, and they can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Baggy jeans are a staple in every woman's closet.
If you are looking for an outfit that will make you feel comfortable and fashionable at the same time, then baggy jeans are your best bet. They offer plenty of room to move around, which has always been their main attraction. They can be paired with a long sleeve tee, a blazer, or even layered under overalls to create a comfortable yet stylish look.