Jean flare skirts are an iconic piece that looks great on almost any body type, with the right fit and styling. Whether you're curvy, petite, tall, or average, finding a flattering skirt that complements your body type can be tricky. That's why understanding your shape and knowing which styles to look for are critical. Here's our guide to choosing the perfect jean flare skirt for your body type.
Identifying Your Body Type
- Determine Your Shoulder-to-Waist Ratio: To determine your body type, measure your shoulder width and compare it to the circumference of your waist. If your shoulder measurement is more prominent than your waist, you have a mesomorphic body type. You have an ectomorphic body type if your shoulder and waist measurements are equal.
- Measure Your Hips: To determine your body type, measure the circumference of your hips. If your hip measurement is more comprehensive than your shoulder width, you have a pear or endomorphic body type.
- Measure Your Thighs: To determine your body type, measure the circumference of your thighs. If your thigh measurement is more significant than your hip, you have an apple or endomorphic body type.
- Take Your Measurements: Take measurements in inches with a flexible measuring tape to get accurate results. Stand in front of a mirror and wrap the measuring tape around the thinnest part of your waist, the widest part of your hips, and the thickest part of your thighs. Check to see that the tape is even and not too tight or too loose.
- Compare Your Measurements: Compare your measurements to the average sizes for your body type. An ectomorphic body type has an average waist size of 28-33 inches, an average hip size of 35-40 inches, and an average thigh size of 20-25 inches. A mesomorphic body type has an average waist size of 33-38 inches, an average hip size of 40-45 inches, and an average thigh size of 25-30 inches. An endomorphic body type has an average waist size of 38-43 inches, an average hip size of 45-50 inches, and an average thigh size of 30-35 inches.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Jean Flare Skirt for Each Body Type
- Look for skirts that are A-line or have a pleated waist to create a balanced silhouette.
- Choose skirts with a higher waistband to flatter your curves.
- Avoid too-tight skirts, as they will highlight your lower half.
- Wear skirts with big prints or bright colors to draw attention away from your legs.
- Look for skirts that cinch at the waist to accentuate your curves.
- Choose skirts with a fitted waist and flared-out bottom for a flattering look.
- Avoid too loose skirts, as this will make your figure look boxy.
- Try skirts with bold patterns or bright colors to enhance your figure.
- Look for skirts that have pleats or ruffles to add volume and create curves.
- Choose skirts with an elastic waistband or a belt to help define your waist.
- Avoid too-tight skirts, as they will make you look thinner.
- Try skirts with bold prints or bright colors to draw attention to your figure.
- Look for skirts with an A-line shape or wrap design to add a form to your figure.
- Choose skirts with an empire waist to create a more hourglass shape.
- Avoid too loose skirts, as they can make you look wider.
- Try skirts with bold prints or bright colors to help define your figure.
Accessories to Compliment Your Look
- Look for belts with unique colors, patterns, or textures to add a touch of flair. Try a printed belt in a bold color like red or cobalt blue or a metallic belt in silver or gold for a glamorous vibe.
- Opt for shoes with exciting details like studs, buckles, and fringe. A pair of heeled ankle boots with an eye-catching print or beaded accents can instantly transform your look. Try pairing them with a bright-colored jeans flare skirt for a fun, trendy twist.
- Accessorize your jeans flare skirt with statement jewelry like chunky necklaces, layered bracelets, or earrings in unexpected shapes or colors. A colorful scarf or a wide-brimmed hat is also a great way to add interest to your outfit. Don't forget to finish the look with a chic clutch or shoulder bag to complete your stylish ensemble.